So now that we have all returned from our holiday weekends, we can begin to focus on eating mindfully again. If you want to look and feel fabulous, then you need to eat fabulously…after all, you literally are what you eat! In the past I’ve talked a lot about the desire to prepare healthy, fresh food and the challenge of finding the time to do it in. Today we are going to talk about a quick and simple summer sauce which is also good for you…Pesto! Here comes the best part…remember my post, Be AMAZING (With Minimal Effort)…Grow Your Own Herb Garden!? Well…it is less than one month later and tonight I was already able to easily harvest enough fresh basil for my pesto sauce! Yay! Whether you have a herb garden or not you can easily prepare this delicious recipe in under 10 minutes!
Pesto alla Genovese:
***(Adapted from Time Life ‘Foods of the World’: The Cooking of Italy, circa 1968…I use a lot of my Mom’s old cookbooks and tweak the recipes to my taste)
(Yields approximately 1 1/2-2 cups…this should easily feed a family of four…or a single person all week…yay!)
2 cups of Fresh Basil
1/4-1/2 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tsp of fresh chopped garlic
2 Tbsp Pine Nuts
1 cup of good Olive Oil
1/2 cup of freshly grated imported Parmesan and/or Romano Cheese
Personally, I am lazy (and hungry); therefore, I chop nothing! I literally dump everything into the food processor (Cuisinart, VitaMix or similar) and I hit the blend button. Let your food processor run until everything is finely chopped. Taste it to be sure that you don’t want to add any more of anything. Serve over pasta (or chicken, or whatever you like). Tip: Angel Hair pasta tends to cook the fastest (some brands require just 2 minutes cooking time)! Enjoy! Be sure to freeze or refrigerate any leftovers.
Why this recipe is AWESOME:
- It is easy, easy, easy…your Chihuahua could make it!
- It is fast…it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare!
- It is fresh! Phytonutrients (the good stuff from plants) are amazing for your health. Eating raw foods is one of the best ways to load your diet with phytonutrients. Pesto sauce is uncooked and therefore is completely raw.
- Olive oil is AMAZING for you! Considered a “good” fat olive oil is great for both your skin and your hair! Look for high-quality, extra-virgin varieties.
- Pesto sauce freezes beautifully, so you can enjoy your summer harvest in the cooler months.
- One more thing! You can change it up as you see fit. Be creative! For example, I have been to restaurants where they make their pesto with a little cilantro and lime mixed in!
So why not impress yourself, your family and your friends tonight? Also, in keeping with the Italian theme may I suggest washing down your meal with an ice-cold glass of Limoncello? I discovered Limoncello while travelling through Italy (check out my many Travel posts)…if you find a good one, it is delicious and it acts as a digestive. Yum!
Want to know MORE about Raw Foods? Be sure to check out my girl Carolyn on her blog dedicated to the subject! Carolyn is intelligent, she is knowledgeable (she walks-the-walk) and she is an all-around FABULOUS gal! Oh, and if you have food allergies or intolerances her blog is a must-read! Be sure to visit her!